Thursday, September 14, 2006

News, Thoughts, and Driving

Well, the time has come for me to write something again. I've found some free time whilst waiting for my Sociology class (I have a 2 hour gap between my 2 classes today). After reading the Westword, puttering on MySpace and Facebook for far too long, I didn't come to any great realization other than, just write. So I shall.

I've had a couple of really great thoughts over the past while that I really want to get down on paper and/or post, but I've never "found the time" to do it. One I actually did write down (because I didn't have dear ol' Lucy (that's my computer by the way) with me to post). In summary, there were 2 people on campus, on my first day, who were holding huge doomsday, you're going to hell if you don't love jesus kinda signs. I watched them interact with people for a while and then get into an argument with a christian girl who told them that she thought they were going about this all wrong. I fully agreed with her, but didn't have the time, or courage really, to speak up with her. I'll try and post the whole thing I wrote soon.

Another thing I've been toying with and developing extensively in my head is this thing about interacting with God:
A while back I was just driving, I don't remember where but, how often, when really driving, is the destination the end and not the means? It's usually an excuse for me to just drive. I enjoy driving. It's a time of solitude and thought (not so much reflection, because I'm not all that introspective), and not to mention good music. So, here I was, driving somewhere for some reason, with the windows rolled down. And what child (at heart) doesn't stick their hand out the window and play with the wind when it rushes past? Felling the wind rush through my fingers and being able to fell the pressure of something I couldn't see was a wonderful wake up call. When I slowed down for the approaching red light, the pressure decreased until I could no longer feel the wind. And for some reason, it all just clicked in my head.
Picture (for the sake of analogy) God as the wind, or more accurately, the air. We can't see the air, but we know, without a doubt, that it is present; without the air, we would die. Now when I was driving along at 50 mph, and I stuck my hand out the window, I felt the air. I felt what I could not see. I felt it rush past my hand or, more accurately, I felt my hand move through the air, which pushed against my hand. The slower we move, the less we feel. How often have you felt God when you're doing nothing? I don't mean sitting in solitude, I mean doing nothing. Not pursuing God, not praying, not reading Scripture, not thinking and talking and debating about God and with God. It's not very often that we feel God when we do nothing.
But when we run at full speed towards Him, how much more can we feel the air all around our bodies? We feel it on our face, we and feel it rustle our clothes, and blow our hair. Feeling God requires action on our part. Feeling and knowing our Savior requires a desire to do so, and actions leading towards it. Being an Armchair Christian doesn't cut it for me. I want to feel God. I want to know Him. I want to learn from Him. I want to be close to the Savior of my life.
And therein lies the "hard part." "What do you mean I have to do something? God is everywhere and all-powerful, why doesn't He just do all the work?" Because this thing we've got with God, it's a relationship. Pure and (not so) simple. Does your best friend come over to your house, sit by you on your couch, and talk at you, while you watch tv? Does your girlfriend carry the conversation, while you are asleep? Why would God do all the work? That's not to say you have to do all the work. God wants to be with you. He wants you to let Him love you. God wants to shower you with love and all you have to do is let him. Put some effort into your relationship with your Creator. Run towards your God at full speed and feel Him on your face, feel him blow your hair.

No comments: